Anyone who knows me knows that I love my mornings. I’ve always been a morning person – the annoying type that is up at the crack of dawn, making coffee, breakfast, and going to the gym…all while being super loud and waking up my fiancee but thats another story… basically what you see people on television do in the mornings and think to yourself ” people don’t do this in real life” , is what I do.
There have obviously been times in my life where I haven’t followed a morning routine and during those times I found myself depressed, unmotivated, and lazy. So now I like to assure that I start my days off right by following the same routine every day.
I truly believe that how you start your day can have a huge impact on your entire day. For example; if you were to wake up 30 minutes before you had to be at work and had to rush to get ready and maybe because you were rushing, you spilled coffee on yourself on your way out of the house. So had to run and change clothes and in result ended up late for work and because of that your boss was upset with you all day which would stress you out for the rest of your day, essentially leaving your day ruined.
Thats obviously a hypothetical example. But something like that could easily be avoided by assuring that you were awake just an extra 30 minutes. So you didn’t have to rush getting ready and could maybe even sit down and enjoy your coffee before leaving the house.
In fact studies have shown that “When it comes to doing cognitive work, for example, most adults perform best in the late morning”. So if we perform best in the late morning, we should assure that we are at our best work level by taking the extra time to wake ourselves up properly by creating a morning routine.
Every morning routine should include; eating, some sort of physical activity, and some form of meditation.
I wanted to share my morning routine that I follow religiously and maybe it will inspire or help some of you with creating yours.
My Morning Routine
- I wake up every morning between 530 – 6am. I don’t set an alarm because I just automatically get up at that time now. The first thing I do when I wake up is feed my animals. I have two cats and two dogs, and I can’t do anything to wake myself up until they are looked after first.
- After I feed the zoo, I start making a pot of unicorn blood ( aka coffee). While thats brewing, I prepare my almond milk coffee creamer ( I like to mix up what flavour of coffee I want, so its different everyday).
- Once I have my unicorn blood I’ll put on some sort of reality tv show and watch that while enjoying my coffee. This is what I do for meditation. It seems silly, I know, but it helps my mind stop thinking about everything else that needs to be done in the day and just focus on the show. It’s what works best for me and I enjoy it, so why stop?
- Once I am finished my coffee, I’ll stop watching my show and get ready for the gym. When I don’t go to the gym, I’ll do a 4 minute plank in my bedroom to get some sort of physical activity in the morning.
- After exercising I like to recharge with a smoothie, followed by showering and getting ready for the day.
Thats it, my morning routine. It’s nothing crazy, but it’s what I do every morning before doing anything else for the day. When I can’t follow my routine for some reason, it just off sets the rest of my day.